If you’ve ever spent time in the South, chances are you’ve watched the Kentucky Derby on TV, been there yourself or have friends that wait for this race all year long. To those of you familiar with the Derby, know just how wild and festive it is. An event where the southern belle (or gentlemen) in all of us comes out in full force.
True “Derby” fashion is nothing without the exotic Derby Hat. An accessory every Southern lady wouldn’t be caught dead without. They can be simple and elegant to right out gaudy – and let’s be honest, quite top heavy. For the gentleman, he is known to strut his stuff in a seersucker suit, Vineyard Vine tie and whatever bold, colored pant and shirt he can find. It’s actually quite humorous if you think about the whole occasion. But for those who love their southern traditions, it’s a wonderous affair and a serious thing when it comes down to the betting of the horses.
For me it’s the fantastic food and classic southern cocktails that go hand-in-hand with the Kentucky Derby. Raise your glasses folks to the Classic Mint Julep and other recipes inspired by the delicious combo of mint and bourbon. Now go place your bets! The race is about to begin.
1. The Classic Kentucky Mint Julep | by Camille Styles
2. Muscovado Mint Julep | by The Bojon Gourmet
3. Blackberry Mint Julep | by Miss in the Kitchen
4. Lavender Mint Julep | by Pizzazzerie
5. Mint Julep Bundt Cake | by Sift & Whisk
6. Mint Julep Pudding Shots | by That’s So Michelle
7. Mint Julep Cupcakes | by the Baker Chick
8. Mint Julep Brownies | by Spicy Southern Kitchen
9. Mint Julep Jello Shots | by Tablespoon
10. Mint Julep Profiteroles | by Tea Time Magazine
11. Pulled Pork with Mint Julep Barbecue Sauce | by William-Sonoma
12. Mint Julep Lamb Chops | by the Food Network
13. Kentucky Derby Mint Julep Chicken Skewers | by Little Leopard Book